With the help of global warming, summertime is quickly approaching. For those of us who are too lazy and procrastinate too much to workout and get our summer bodies, we can get our summer skin instead!
Summertime is always about glowy, clean, and healthy skin. From lots of research and experimentation on my own mug, I can confidently tell you the 5 essentials you're gonna need if you want to glow like no other this summer and feel good in your own skin.
1. The first is hydration. This is important because many people think hydration and moisturization are synonymous but they're very different. If you want your skin to be at its best, you'll want to have both in your routine. It's honestly a crime to have one without the other. Hydration will increase the water content in your skin, helping it look more healthy, youthful, and plump. Korean beauty essences and serums containing humectants like hyaluronic acid will be great for that.
Missha Time Revolution Essence - $28 (£21.57)
Cosrx Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence - $20 (£15.40)
Mizon Water Volume Ex First Essence - $18 (£13.86)
Blithe Crystal Iceplant Pressed Serum - $49 (£37.74)
2. The second essential is SPF. A) Because without sealing your hydrated skin with a moisturizer, it'll become dehydrated. The air will just suck out all of that hydration and leave your face feeling and looking depleted. And B) you need SPF! Everyone needs SPF. UVA rays, UVB rays, and cancer do not discriminate against anyone. None of us are Superman. It's recommended that you wear an SPF of at least 30 or higher. Again, Korean beauty brands are your best bet for SPFs because not only are they affordable, but they also have better ingredients and protection than Western SPFs with way less of a white cast, if any.
Biore Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF 50 - $9 (£6.93)
Missha All Around Safe Block Sun Milk SPF 50 - $15 (£11.55)
Innisfree Eco Safety Perfect Sunblock SPF 50 - $23 (£17.72)
Cosrx Aloe Soothing Sun Cream SPF 50 - $13 (£10.01)
3. You can't glow if your skin is dull, so an introduction of Vitamin C into your routine is crucial business. These serums are tricky because they tend to not only be hella expensive, but they can also oxidize if you don't use them quick enough. If you're willing to shell out the coins, this could be the one expensive product in your routine that's an investment of sorts. Not only is Vitamin C great for evening out the skin and brightening your face, it's also an anti-ager that helps your SPF work a little better to protect you from sun damage.
Paula's Choice C15 - $49 (£37.74)
Cosrx Triple C Lightning Liquid - $27 (£20.80)
The Ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F - $13 (£10.01)
4. Not only do face mists help to reduce the cakey appearance powders can give you, it's also just a nice refresher to have throughout the day. Face mists personally aren't that deep to me, so it's not like you need to spend an obscene amount of money on one, especially if you're just gonna use it when you're hot. Mario Badescu has great, inexpensive face mists for $7 (£5.39) as well as the Heritage brand on Amazon. If you're feeling slightly bougie, you could go for the MAC Fix+ instead (psst, this one also have more skin softening and hydrating ingredients in it!).
5. Last but not least, highlighter! This will take you to the next level. To achieve the most effortless and natural look possible, you'll want to use a cream or liquid highlighter with a pearlescent tone. My all-time favorite is the Glossier Haloscope in Quartz. Some other popular ones are the RMS Beauty Living Luminizer, Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, and the NARS Illuminators. Too pricey? Don't you fret! Maybelline, NYX, and L'Oréal also have great cream and liquid highlighters that have touched the famous faces of Beyoncé and the Hadid Sisters. If it's good enough for them, it is good enough for us.
ERIN is currently working as a freelance writer in Philadelphia. She blogs about makeup, skincare, and her feelings on any and everything. She spends copious amounts of time window shopping online for skincare products she can’t afford. A big fan of horror movies and shaking the table with semi-controversial discourse. Obsessed with highlighter, nude lipstick, and scaring people with her resting bitch face. Instagram // Twitter // Website